Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Probably Won't Read Your Mail

I’ve decided if I ever get tired of fighting Spyware/Malware my next passion will be finding spammers and do my best to make their life miserable.  Last week it was Tora Tora Tora and Maku Maku Maku. This week is seems to be Wexa Wexa Wexa and Advanced Powerline Technologies.  Is someone actually making money because people believe stock tips from spammers will make them rich?

I have spent much of this past weekend deleting spam but I’m sure I deleted some valid Email in the process.  It’s getting a lot harder than it used to be.  So, I wanted to give folks a few tips if they want to Email me.

If your Subject line just says “Hi”, I probably won’t read your mail.

If your Subject line says “<insert name> wrote:“  I probably won’t read your mail.

If you misspell words like pi11 or ob’esity, I probably won’t read your mail.

If you reference my health or any medications, I probably won’t read your mail.

If you want me to look at a “photo from Vacation”, I probably won’t read your mail.

If you tell me I won something, I probably won’t read your mail.

If you use characters like  经营决策,电子表, I probably won’t read your mail.

If your subject line says, “IMPORTANT”, I probably won’t read your mail.

If the subject begins with “RE:“ and I don’t recognize the rest, I probably won’t read your mail.

If I see the word “Penis” or “Pheromone”, I probably won’t read your mail.

Otherwise, I hope I won’t miss your Email.  If I don’t respond in 24 hours I’m either sick, or I deleted it by mistake.

 

Share on Facebook


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill P.
If fighting spammers will be
your next passion good for you and
good luck in making their lives a
sheer misery! They do deserve it.
They need to be exposed also like
their name addresses (Private residence) and phone #'s so others
can make them feel it back. That
would only be a taste of their own
medicine.

John

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the majority of spam spouting stocks are sent by the same spammers using bot machines. I just set my gMail to filter the referenced stock name and they all end up in the trash. Simple. Straight forward. I use spamcop to send notifications on all the rest. The ISPs they are routing these bot generated emails are so saturated they do not want to even hear about the elimination of these bogus offers.
george

8:04 PM  
Blogger paperghost said...

What about C1ALI$?

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

QUESTION about WinPatrol Plus:
I love this program, but I'm prone to tinker. I've tinkered to the point that I'm sure I've messed up some functions.
IS THERE A WAY TO RESET EVERYTHING TO XP STARTUP SPECS? THEN I CAN GO BACK IN AND (HAVING LEARNED THE ERROR OF MY WAYS) TAKE A NEW, HUMBLED APPROACH TO WHACKING STUFF.

Thanks for info.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are no XP specs because every computer company puts different things in the startup.
You can however restore any changes you have made using WinPatrol.
Just go to the Options tab and click on History. You'll see every action you've taken using WinPatrol and in most case you can restore any change back to its original state.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I currently have an application that will lock my PC upon startup. but, this app. starts up late in the startup sequence that I have enough time to disable it using the (Ctrl-Alt_delete) before it activates and locks my PC. Is there a way to configure WINPATROL to make my Locking application startup first upon reboot?

7:55 PM  
Blogger topogio said...

YEEEAAAAHHH Buddy, I'm with you there.... I have tracked a couple and one lives not to far from me!! I give him HELL!! But thanks to your WinPatrol, I don't worry about him for myself, but my charity around town and at the office seems to find him all the time!! I would be glad to restart my process of annotating every little detail I find, if it means it will help someone to fight back. Good luck with your future transition. I am also the same person who has one computer on my home network of 12 comps that has only WinPatrol for protection, and still in 5yrs 24/7 has Never received a virus/trojan or symantecs new idea -- Zombie.. lol... the undead control computers.... along with the flu and well you know... :)

Gary

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bill,

You have written: "I probably won’t read your mail". But this is simply not true. By the time you discover that the message is spam, you have already read it.

But the good news is that you should not delete spam manually, grab a good spamfilter which does the job for you.

My statistical filter caught 1636 of 1639 spam emails (99.81%). Pretty cool.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home