Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Thursday, September 22, 2011

WinPatrol.com Removes Links to Facebook

 

nofacebook

 
We are no longer encouraging anyone to use Facebook and have removed all links to "Fans of WinPatrol" group from WinPatrol.com.

 

 

 

 

 


facebookfans

 

This is not a protest to UI changes. We have found that Facebook changes are frequently made without proper testing often exposing Friend only posts to the public.

For instance, new interface changes has created the new “Old Posts” feature. Some people have reported many of their Old Posts are now available to the public even when their wall was set to Friends Only.

facebooklimit

To change the settings for the new "Old Posts" feature, go to your privacy settings at http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy and change the new feature "Limit the Audience for Past Posts". Click on Manage Past Post Visibility.  The menu for privacy settings is also available as a down arrow in the upper right corner of your Facebook page.

We're not closing the group yet but will stop providing links that may encourage folks to join Facebook to get WinPatrol information updates. There’s also unofficial WinPatrol discussions and help available at http://www.landzdown.com/winpatrol-help-information/

Share on Facebook


7 Comments:

Anonymous JeanInMontana said...

I feel my info was compromised by their changes. I really don't want to think someone I'm calling 'friend' gave info to my new cyberbully fan club. I posted this link from my page on FB and will from my wall too. All day it's been nonstop stuff about the changes,and more to come.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Please note: If you are a Verizon customer, you may have difficulty reaching the WinPatrol Help & Information forum at LandzDown.

The issue is being documented in the Verizon Community forum at Cannot Connect to A Website. If you are a Verizon customer with the same problem, please consider adding to that topic.

Thank you.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's another weird one...
I don't have any problems connecting to Landzdown.com using my Verizon phone.

My Droid using Verizon Wireless connects fine. It's only a problem for my home computers which use FIOS and OpenDNS.

Bill

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not create a google+ group?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One problem after another with Facebook. I tried 3x to CLOSE my entire account there permanently; on the third try I did manage to do so. Glad I did!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Almost two weeks ago, when fb rolled out the first of their new changes, I'd finally had enough. This was followed almost immediately with the new "timeline" business. I have my account set to be permanently deleted after this Thursday. They hide the way to delete your account, not just "deactivate" it, but it can be done. You just have to wait two weeks without ever logging in, including to linked sites. They're that sure that we can't give up our addiction. I miss many aspects of the site, and have temporarily weakened to the point of almost logging back in several times, but enough is enough. Your post again strengthens my resolve, as did googling myself yesterday only to be appalled at the pages of citings to fb posts that I thought I had marked "only friends". I'm sure somewhere, some bright young techies are working feverishly on the next new thing.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The day I joined Facebook, my email spam went up dramatically.
Coincidence? I have almost everything set to "Friends only".

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home